The Millbrae Lions Club
Youth Baseball Program
Renowned for building character and sportsmanship for children on the Peninsula.
The Millbrae Lions Club Youth Baseball League has been a Peninsula tradition since its inception in 1958. Our local past-time has become immensely popular over the years and accepts children not only from Millbrae but from as far north as San Francisco, as far south as Redwood City and as far west as Half Moon Bay. The Millbrae Lions Club Baseball Program is one of the few programs that initiates children into baseball from the age of 4 and carries them through age 16.
We operate eight different fields for the players; four at Taylor Middle School; one each at Green Hills School and Glen Oaks Field. The Glen Oaks Baseball Field was constructed by the Millbrae Lions Club in 1994, leaving Mills High School Baseball Field for our 15-16 year old players, this being a traveling team.
The Millbrae Field Volunteer Group is vital in raising desperately needed funds. Their efforts help us to continue with re-furbishing school fields which need attention and are un-useable at this time.
The Millbrae Lions Club Baseball League offers the following:
· Our T Ball Program, a co-ed program, ages 4-6 years consists of 190 children (14 teams) and is headed by Commissioner Ken Murphy, an alumnus of the Millbrae Lions Baseball Program and also coached for over 20 years.
· Our Pinto Program, ages 7-8 consists of 140 children (10 teams) and is headed by another program alumnus, Commissioner Dan Sanchez beginning as a player, then coach, now commissioner and involved in our umpire crew.
· Our Mustang Program, ages 9-10, consists of 100 children (8 teams) and is headed by Commissioner Dave Pape, another alumnus, who started out as a young player, went through coaching all the age groups, then up to commissioner for several years.
· Our Bronco Program, ages 11-12, consists of 78 players (6 teams) and is headed by one of Millbrae's Fire Chiefs, Kevin McWhirter, a former professional minor league player. The Broncos play at Glen Oaks Field, the only baseball field in our program with a grass infield.
· Our Pony Program, ages 13-14 consists of two teams that travel between San Bruno and Pacifica. A higher level of play is involved and the parents now have the chance to sit in the stands and watch the coaches manage their children. Participants in this program have the opportunity to prepare for high school ball and our Colt team where there is no longer any parent involvement; coaches have complete control of these teams.
· Our Colt Program, ages 15-16 has one team in the Peninsula Colt League. Players must try out for a position on the team, which is headed by the Evangelista family, the coaches having once played for the Millbrae Lions. The commissioner for Colt is Andy Evangelista. The team travels to play against teams from other cities along the Peninsula. Our Millbrae Team was league Champions in 2006!
Program director Lion Randy Lask (along with the late Lion Rich Reising) has had the pleasure of running this project which takes about 10 months out of the year and during the actual season 7 days a week. We would like to thank all the sponsors, the Millbrae business community and the parents who volunteer their time to help run this large project.
Evaluations based upon age begin in February, practice starts in March and the games begin in April. If your child has already signed up you will be contacted with details prior to the evaluations.
For more information and for questions on how your child can participate in this greatly admired and emulated program please contact Baseball Chairman, Lion Randy Lask, at (650) 359-2497 or his cell phone at (650) 270-6797.
Millbrae Lions Club Webpage maintained and hosted courtesy of